- Tennessee (Davidson County), Nashville — 64 — Adolphus Heiman — 1809 – 1862
Born Potsdam, Prussia. Came to Nashville 1838. Lived in home on this site. Architect, Engineer & Builder; Designed Univ. of Nash. Main Bldg., Central State Hosp. Main Bldg., Suspension Bridge over Cumberland River. Masonic Leader; Adj. U.S. Army Mexican War; Col. 10th Tenn. Inf. Reg. C.S.A. Civil War. Buried in Confederate Circle, Mount Olivet Cemetery.
- Tennessee (Davidson County), Nashville — N1 3 — Battle of Nashville — Federal Defenses
The hill to the west was a strong point in the system of permanent Federal defenses, started in 1862, which extended to the river on both sides of the town. Artillery was placed here from time to time.
- Tennessee (Davidson County), Nashville — 37 — Battle of Nashville — Peach Orchard Hill
On Dec. 16, 1864, Gen. S.D. Lee’s Corps, Army of Tennessee, held this right flank of Hood’s defense line which ran south along the crest of this ridge. Violent artillery fire and infantry attacks by the corps of Wood and Steedman failed to dislodge the defenders who withdrew only after the collapse of the Confederate left and center in late afternoon.
- Tennessee (Davidson County), Nashville — N1 12 — Battle of Nashville — Outer Federal Defenses – Dec. 2, 1864
Here the outer Federal Defensive line, which stretched 7 mi. around the city, crossed Hillsboro Pike. It was used at the commencement of the battle on Dec. 15 by Wood’s IV Corps as a line of departure for the main attack. Faint traces of the old entrenchments are visible a few yards west.
- Tennessee (Davidson County), Nashville — N1 11 — Battle of Nashville — IV Corps Jump-off Line – Dec. 15, 1864
Using the defensive salient 500 yards east, Wood’s Corps, with the XVI Corps on its right, swung southwest to envelop the left of the Confederate line, 1 1/2 miles south, and pushed it back in spite of determined resistance. The XXIII Corps (Schofield) followed in support. (Marker Number N1 11.)
- Tennessee (Davidson County), Nashville — 3A 186 — First Masonic Hall
Across the alley stood the first Masonic Hall in the state, designed by architect Hugh Roland in 1818. Marquis de la Fayette was entertained there in 1825 by Past Grand Master Andrew Jackson. The 17th General Assembly of Tennessee met there in 1827. The structure, mush used as a civic center, burned in 1856. The rebuilt hall was used as a hospital supply store by Federal troops during the Civil War.
- Tennessee (Davidson County), Nashville — 55 — Fort Negley Site
The guns of Fort Negley, commanding three turnpikes to the South & Southeast, opened the Battle of Nashville, Dec. 15, 1864. This site was selected by Capt. J. S. Morton as the key strongpoint in the Federal line around the city. The European style fort, named for General James S. Negley, was built of stone, logs, earth & railway iron.
- Tennessee (Davidson County), Nashville — No. 9 — Holy Trinity Episcopal Church
This building, renowned for its pure Gothic architecture and harmony of proportions, was designed by Wills & Dudley of New York, in a style suggesting and English village church. The cornerstone was laid May 7, 1852, by Bishop James Otey. The church was used as a powder magazine for several months during the Civil War.
- Tennessee (Davidson County), Nashville — 3A 77 — Maxwell House Hotel
On this site stood the Maxwell House Hotel built by John Overton in 1859. It was destroyed by fire on Christmas Day, 1961. After wartime use as a barracks, hospital and prison, it was formally opened as a hotel in 1869. Presidents Andrew Johnson, Rutherford Hayes, Grover Cleveland, Theodore Roosevelt, William McKinley, William Howard Taft, and Woodrow Wilson lodged here, as did a host of celebrities from the world of business, politics, the arts and military services.
- Tennessee (Davidson County), Nashville — 3A 132 — Nashville Blacks in the Civil War
From October – December 1862, on this hill, black laborers helped the Union Army build Fort Negley. In November, blacks helped defend the unfinished fort against Confederate attack. During the Battle of Nashville (December 1864), nearly 13,000 black soldiers aided in the defeat of the Confederates. By 1865, blacks had assisted the Union Army in building 23 fortifications around Nashville.
- Tennessee (Davidson County), Nashville — 15 — Powder Grinding Wheels
These wheels used by the Confederacy to grind gunpowder at Augusta, Ga in 1863-1864 were made in Woolwich, England and were shipped on the blockade runner “Spray,” via Mobile. After the war Gen. Miles purchased them for use at Sycamore Powder Mills, Cheatham County. They were exhibited at the Tennessee Centennial Exposition in 1897.
- Tennessee (Davidson County), Nashville — 3A 139 — Sarah Estell
Sarah Estell, a free black woman in the slavery era, ran an ice cream parlor and sweet shop near here. She overcame the many hurdles faced by free persons of color, and her venture thrived. Her catering firm met the banquet needs of the city’s fireman, church socials, and political parties form 1840~1860.
- Tennessee (Davidson County), Nashville — 3A 34 — Tennessee State Capitol
Designed by William Strickland, noted Philadelphia architect who also designed the tower of Independence Hall. construction was commenced in 1845 and completed 1859. Strickland died in 1854 and is entombed in the north portico. His son Francis, supervised construction from 1854 to 1857. Slaves and convicts quarried and transported limestone for the Capitol, which was used as a fortress during the Civil War. President and Mrs James K Polk are buried on the east lawn.
- Tennessee (Davidson County), Nashville — N 15 — XVI Corps Line of Departure
Supported by a division of Wilson’s cavalry, A. J. Smith’s Corps moved westward astride Harding Rd, displacing Ector’s Confederate Brigade from positions across the pike northward to the west of Richland Creek. This brigade out posted the Confederate left flank; the main line was along Hillsboro Pike. (Marker Number N 15.)